The Council is responsible for decision-making and co-ordination
- The Council of the European Union passes laws, usually legislating jointly with the European Parliament.
- The Council co-ordinates the broad economic policies of the member states.
- The Council defines and implements the EU’s common foreign and security policy, based on guidelines set by the European Council.
- The Council concludes, on behalf of the Community and the Union, international agreements between the EU and one or more states or international organisations.
- The Council co-ordinates the actions of Member States and adopts measures in the area of police and judicial co-operation in criminal matters.
- The Council and the European Parliament constitute the budgetary authority that adopts the Community’s budget.